Thursday, February 9, 2012

Intro of Psych Knowledge and the Lobes of the Brain

Hello everyone!
     This blog will be written about my knowledge of Psychology. The reason for choosing this particular topic is because it is something that I am familiar with and it is something that I am studying. There has been so much research done to prove a particular finding, but there is a vast ocean of  knowledge that has not been found out. Psychologists are familiar with the lobes of the brain and the basic functions that that each part does, but the details of every single one of those parts is still unknown. So let's start with something easy, like the four lobes of the brain.
     The four parts of the brain are the Frontal Lobe, Parietal Lobe, Occipital Lobe, and Temporal Lobe. The Frontal Lobe is located right above your eyes and is responsible for the planning of movements, some aspects of memory and the inhibition of inappropriate behaviors. The Parietal Lobe is located behind the Frontal Lobe. It is responsible for integrating sensory information from different parts of the body, the notions of numbers and their function, manipulation of objects, and there are some aspects of vision.  The Occipital Lobe is located in the back of the brain and is responsible for vision processing and can be linked to the origination of  dreams. The fourth lobe is called the Temporal Lobe and is located where the temples are, which is below the Frontal and Parietal Lobe. Its function is auditory perception, advanced visual processing, and is a key to the formation of long-term memory.
      That is just some basics about the brain and what the functions of the four lobes of the brain. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Hope you enjoyed the Psych Knowledge!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Archaic_Heir!

    As a former science major, and previous psychology student, I think it's incredibly bold to make an informative blog such as this one. I really enjoy the idea of the little nuggets of knowledge that you will post regularly.

    I also particularly enjoy the fact that you began with something basic and dissected it. It will give those with no prior knowledge of the subject something to walk away with.

    I look forward to your next post!

    -MP-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure that making an informative blog would work out, but I'm enjoying writing something each week. Also, it helps me as a study guide. Hope you have seen the updated posts, and feel free to throw me a topic that you would like to know about. Thanks Marlene!

      Delete
  2. I also think it is great that you will be taking complex ideas and breaking them down so that those who have little or no background in science or psychology may be able to grasp a basic understanding. Are you going to bring in examples and/or brief case studies to help articulate your points?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was hesitant at first to write about Psychology, but it's something that I'm passionate about. Also it is something that I am familiar with. I will try to bring up examples when I can, and show examples through pictures. I think for some examples I may bring up specific cases, especially ones that are famous. If there is anything you would like me to bring up, please do! Thanks, and hope you have see the updates!

      Delete